So I am in Culture and Gender Psychology class and am finding myself a little confused. I am reading a book called The Geography of Thought, How Asians and Westerners Think Differently... and Why by psychologist Richard Nisbett. It's really good I like it, and I have decided before I go anywhere abroad again I should read a book about it because I am already learning so much about their culture that I think would help a person not be an ignorant American in their travels assuming everybody else thinks like them.
I won't "bore" you with what I've learned even though I think it is so so interesting... but I'm just realizing how different American culture is from the rest of the world. I've always thought we don't really have a culture because we don't have some sort of cultural dress like Japan or Thailand with cool music and traditions. All I can think of is a cowboy or a fat guy eating a McDonalds hamburger. Little did I know. There are huge cultural differences in the way we think and sometimes I feel like I lean more on the Eastern side. Although, I have always been a firm believer on the very typical American cultural ideas such as, BE UNIQUE, BE INDEPENDENT, YOU CAN DO ANYTHING YOU WANT, ATTITUDE IS EVERYTHING! And this just isn't how the rest of the world thinks apparently.
So why I'm torn... I can't figure out if one way of thinking is more beneficial than the other, especially with raising a family. Like, do I want to raise my kids thinking that it is important to make your own choices and be unique and then wonder why when they're a teenager they rebel and don't like me anymore? I would have trained them to be that way! I just can't imagine going the other way and have them live for everyone else and conform because relationships are more important than individuality, but I too think families are the most important thing ever! I just am wondering can I be a nice blend of both cultural thinking? It seems impossible because they're so different, and we just can't raise kids with Eastern philosophies to succeed in a Western society without adapting. I also don't like the idea of settling or just dealing with the cards your dealt like Eastern culture does because harmony is most important, but I do love how they value and respect relationships and people more than things. You should just read the book if this interests you at all, or watch the movie "The Ramen Girl" (Brittany Murphy), that got me thinking and these cultural differences are very evident in the movie it's really funny.
This class makes me think outside the box and I like it. Naturally I'm a very curious person who questions just about everything, and I leave class feeling a bit perplexed. Food for thought people.
welcome to my major and my field of study! you've turned one page! :) hahaha. congrats.
ReplyDeletemegs...love the thoughts. we should have a phone call and chat this out for real. i bet we could go all day sharing what we've both learned, studied, and experienced. i gotta say, byu hawaii is the place to see this first hand.
it's wise to read a book to make yourself aware of things before hitting it abroad. i didn't do that--but i learned so much while i was in china, and this is a sliver of the joy i get when i think about it. you will experience it too when you begin your travels. i didnt' learn what american culture was until i lived in china and realized how incredibly different I WAS. we always think it's "the other" that is different...but often times, we need to remember that WE TOO, are different.
that is why we need to build bridges of peace!! YES!! peace!!
another thing, it is 100% awesome to incorporate the GOOD things of ALL religions/philosophies so long as it does NOT go against that which the church teaches. ALL THAT WHICH IS GOOD, is good. go for it sis--that's what we plan on doing...nothing wrong with meditating under a banyon tree like the buddha himself. nothing wrong with learning from the hindus what devotion really is. nothing wrong with learning from the jains what the meaning of all living things means.
the world is a wonderous place. let's explore it together.
love,
ky
I think that regardless of whether you teach your children to be individuals or to conform due to relationships and family, there's the chance for a little rebellion in them. It isn't so much human nature or thought processes as it is that we've been sent here to be tested, and we will be tested. Maybe I'm just your typical western thinker, but I really think that where the blend of thoughts comes in is where the gospel steps in and takes over. I think it's really important to teach our children to make their own choices, because each and every day they will be represented with choices. If we can teach them to be unique and to make the right choices, then we've done our job. The problem with eastern thinking, is that we live in a western culture. Regardless of what you teach in your home, they will go to school, they will play sports, they will have friends, and they'll be represented with choices of good and bad. Family's are the most important thing, and the gospel teaches us. Joseph Smith taught to teach your children correct principles and let them govern themselves. It's important for us to allow our children to make decisions so they can enjoy the triumph of a good decision, and learn a lesson from the bad ones.
ReplyDeleteThat's how I think at least... I'm not even sure it made sense. And I wrote a lot... and I'm pretty sure I just rambled on.
Megan, you should read the novel Anthem by Ayn Rand. It's about trying to take away peoples individuality in order to make a utopian society. Interesting. I think you may like it. As far as a response... I think we have to understand ourselves as individuals and use each of our own unique personalities to benefit each other.... haha of course thats how i think it would be in a perfect world. Hope that makes sense.
ReplyDelete